BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 8, 2008

Day of firsts by Nathanael Chan

I was intrigued by the enthusiasm of Emma when she mentioned V’s brother’s wedding some time ago. It was carefully planned and she insisted on wearing a sari. For those of you who have been living under a nutshell, a sari is an Indian traditional outfit for women. I had nothing much to say about that and was oblivious to the plans on that day. Initially, I wasn’t interested or looking forward to the wedding. After all, weddings happen all the time and I couldn’t even care less to who or what is going on. It’s not even me who’s getting married. The wedding was, I would say different. It gave me a feeling and a sense of Malaysian culture all working so well, binding and blending in to this multiracial country. I was present there much as an observer, a critic. I was there to see firsthand on how a traditional Malaysian Indian family carry out weddings. As I was told, the wedding was going to be held in an Indian temple. It was my first time venturing into such a venue, and the immaculate colours and statues gave the ancient temple a sacred, however peaceful atmosphere. As I walked in, I was told of the various and traditional rituals held in order to install the bride and groom to be by V and his friendly cousin. Two men, presumably temple devotees played a traditional bongo-style drum (don’t know what it’s called) and a traditional pipe... Akin to the ones the snake charmer uses. I was surprised on the catchy beat, almost trancelike and captivating. Loud and gaiety, there was a true sense of occasion in the air. Most of the visitors at the wedding were wearing the traditional jeepa (for male) and of course, the sari. It seems its part of tradition to do that at a wedding. It was stingingly hot. The weather was a whopping 36 degrees according to my trusty laptop which I had checked the forecasts earlier, and the tarpaulin roofed tent didn’t help to beat the heat. I was sweating out of my every strand of garment on me. However, that did not deter my observations. I however, will have a shocking halt to my descriptions and let the pictures do the talking. Anyway, a picture speaks a thousand words they say. I however, would like to have a simple yet meaningful conclusion of my own. I personally believe that there could be no other place in the world where rich culture and the various colours of skin could bind peacefully, and each race and religion co-existing among each other. The term Bolehland has been used to describe the amazing capability of this country on its everyday basis, mostly, a ridiculed form of criticism. I however, would say that we Malaysians “boleh”, for we have managed to unite races and colours in one. Congrats to the new bride and groom and may their marriage be prosperous and always lovely. Enjoy the photos.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a commentary.
Fabulous, makes one feel like they are at the same place. Experience of words. Brilliant.

Outdone yourself again, writer!

Cheers~!

V!MaL said...

Too expressive i might say.. Y didnt just make it simple? I felt like reading a MUET textbook. But anywho, thanks for coming!!!!

emma Amarante said...

sama-sama

V!MaL said...

N i mean thx a lot. As in really a lot. A tonne! Muaxxx...